New Orleans Beignets
- 2 ¼ tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water 110° F
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup European style butter
- vegtable oil for frying
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Raspberry Coulis Mix
- Creme Anglaise Sauce Mix made with chocolate milk
- 1 In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- 2 Add sugar, salt, eggs, evaporated milk, and blend well.
- 3 Mix in 4 cups of the flour and beat until smooth.
- 4 Add the butter and the remaining 3 cups of flour and mix until the butter is just mixed incorporated into the dough.
- 5 Cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- 6 Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick.
- 7 Cut into 2 1/2 inch squares.
- 8 Fry in 360 degree F (180 degrees C) hot oil.
- 9 If beignets do not pop up, oil is not hot enough.
- 10 Drain onto paper towels.
- 11 Shake confectioners' sugar on hot beignets.
- 12 Serve warm.