Baja Black Bean Soup
- 4 lbs. black beans
- 2 tbps. olive oil
- 3 medium onions, small diced
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 green peppers, small diced
- 1½ tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 quarts prepared Ham Base
- 3 quarts prepared RC Chicken Base of your choice
- 1 small jalapeño seeded and very small diced
- 2 tomato, seeded and small diced
- 1 red pepper, small diced
- ½ cup corn
- 1 pint sour cream
- RC Ranchero Flavor Concentrate, to taste
- 1 Soak the black beans in cold water overnight.
- 2 Drain the beans and reserve.
- 3 Heat olive oil and sauté onions and chopped garlic.
- 4 Add bay leaves, oregano, allspice, sugar and tomato paste then sauté for 3–5 minutes.
- 5 Add the prepared RC Ham Base and prepared RC Chicken Base and beans.
- 6 Simmer 2½-3 hours or until beans are tender.
- 7 Remove the bay leaves and strain half of the cooked beans and puree.
- 8 Add puree back to the soup mixture.
- 9 To create the jalapeño salsa topping, combine the jalapeño, tomatoes, red pepper, green peppers, corn and lime juice.
- 10 Mix well and season with RC Ranchero Flavor Concentrate.
- 11 Serve soup topped with sour cream and jalapeño salsa.