Latin Tomato and Pumpkin Albondiga Soup
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 gallons prepared RC Healthy Foundations® Smart Sodium 400® Chicken Base
- 16 oz. of tomato sauce
- 2 lbs. of string beans, strings and ends removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 lbs. unseasoned pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup of raw white rice
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup of chopped parsley
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 6 oz. plain Gluten Free panko bread crumbs
- 1 ½ cups of frozen or fresh peas
- 1 tsp. of dried oregano, crumbled, or 1 Tbsp.
- fresh chopped oregano
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed pot (5-qt) over medium heat.
- 2 Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3 Add the garlic and cook a minute more.
- 4 Add broth mixture and tomato sauce, bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- 5 Add carrots and string beans.
- 6 Prepare the meatballs, mix rice into ground meat and add mint leaves, parsley and add GF Panko bread crumbs.
- 7 Form mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
- 8 Add the meatballs to the simmering soup, one at a time.
- 9 Cover and let simmer for ½ hour. Add the peas towards the end of the ½ hour.
- 10 Add a few pinches of oregano and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and a dash of cayenne, to taste.
- 11 Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
Value Added Suggestions:
To “Umamify” the recipe, simply add 1 tsp. RC Umami Sensations® Red Miso Powder to meatball mix and
1 tsp. RC Umami Sensations Mirepoix and Roasted Chinese Cabbage Powder to finished soup.