Cream of Asparagus Soup
approximately 1¾ gallon
- 3 quarts prepared Chicken Base of your choice
- 1 quart prepared Liquid Vegetable Consommé Prep
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 lbs. asparagus
- 4 oz. clarified butter
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 6 oz. flour
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 Combine the prepared Chicken Base and Liquid Vegetable Consommé Prep.
- 2 Add the bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- 3 Remove the bottom 2 inches from the asparagus and discard.
- 4 Chop the remaining stalks and add to the stock.
- 5 Simmer until tender and remove from the stock.
- 6 Discard the bay leaf.
- 7 Heat the butter in a separate pot and sauté the onion, celery and chopped garlic until translucent.
- 8 Add the flour to create a vegetable roux and continue to cook without color for 5-10 minutes.
- 9 Slowly add the stock and asparagus to the roux.
- 10 Mix thoroughly.
- 11 Heat to a simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- 12 Puree the soup in a blender or strain and puree the vegetables before returning to the soup.
- 13 Finish with heavy cream and season with additional Liquid Vegetable Consommé Prep.