New England Roasted Corn and Clam Chowder
- 1½ lbs. whole kernel corn, preferably fresh
- 2 oz. vegetable oil
- 4 oz. fresh shallots, minced
- 8 oz. salted pork or bacon cut into small dice
- 1 lb. minced onion
- 1 lb. minced celery
- 1 lb. flour
- 2 lb. chopped fresh clams, raw
- 1½ lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1⅓ gallons water
- 6½ oz. Clam Base
- 2 quarts milk
- 24 oz. heavy cream
- ½ tsp. thyme
- to taste salt and white pepper
- 1 Combine whole kernel corn, vegetable oil and minced shallots and roast in 400°F oven until slightly golden brown, then reserve.
- 2 Heat a heavy gage soup pot and add salted pork or bacon and render fat.
- 3 Add onion and celery and cook until onion is transparent.
- 4 Reduce heat and add flour while stirring, cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently, this is the roux that will thicken the soup.
- 5 Then add potatoes, clams, water and RC Clam Base, thoroughly blend all together and bring mixture to a simmer.
- 6 While this is coming to a simmer, combine milk and heavy cream in a separate pot and heat to 145°F and add to rest of ingredients.
- 7 Add thyme, roasted corn and season with salt and white pepper, Corn simmer chowder for 30 minutes.