Southwestern Couscous and Lentil Salad
Approximately 1½–1¾ quarts
- 1½ tsp. Ranchero Flavor Concentrate
- 1¼ cups water
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Prepared Southwestern Lentils (recipe follows)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- ½ cup small diced red and green peppers
- 1 This recipe is prepared in two parts.
- 2 The couscous is cooked separately from the lentils, after which the two components are combined.
- 3 To prepare the couscous, sauté the chopped garlic and corn until lightly browned.
- 4 Add the water and Ranchero Flavor Concentrate and bring to a boil.
- 5 Add the peppers and couscous and stir well.
- 6 Cover and remove from the heat.
- 7 Allow to stand, covered for 10 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- 8 The Southwestern Lentil recipe follows.
Ingredients 1 Tbsp. olive oil 2 tsp. chopped garlic 1 cup lentils 3 cups water 1 Tbsp. Ranchero Flavor Concentrate 2-4 drops Extracts, Flavors, and Colors (Cilantro)Brown the chopped garlic in the oil and add the remaining ingredients. Simmer slowly until the lentils are softened and most of the liquid is absorbed. While the mixtures are still hot, gently combine with Southwestern Couscous from previous recipe. Cover and chill thoroughly.