- 2 quarts prepared Ham Base
- 1 carrot, julienne
- 1 rib celery, very small diced
- 1 medium onion, very small diced
- 6-8 oz. bacon, small diced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. thyme
- 2 lbs. split peas
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and medium diced
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 2 quarts prepared RC Chicken Base of your choice
- 1 Sauté the bacon until crisp.
- 2 Remove from fat and reserve for later use.
- 3 Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and chopped garlic in the bacon fat.
- 4 Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until peas are tender.
- 5 Remove the bay leaf and serve topped with the crisp bacon.